Student Loan Company provides loans for tuition fees, paying the money directly to universities and colleges on behalf of students who apply for this support. Read more for details.

Further Education


Further Education in the United Kingdom is education in addition to that received at secondary school, that is distinct from the higher education (HE) offered in universities and other academic institutions. It may be at any level in compulsory secondary education, from entry to higher level qualifications such as awards, certificates, diplomas and other vocational, competency-based qualifications (such as NVQ).
Further Education in the United Kingdom is usually a means to attain an intermediate, advanced or follow-up qualification necessary to progress into HE, or to begin a specific career path.

Student Loan Company


Student Loans Company is a non-profit government-owned, organisation established in 1989 to provide loans and grants to students in universities, colleges and education organisations in the UK.
Student Loan Company supports UK/EU students financially to improve their career through Further Education (19+ Advanced Learning Loan) and Higher Education (Student Finance England), contributing founds on behalf of the UK government, depending on their individual conditions. 
The company plays a central role in supporting the Higher Education (HE) and Further Education (FE) sectors by: making timely and reliable payments of maintenance grants and loans to learners; and securing timely and accurate payments of tuition fee loans to HE and FE providers.
SLC mission is to allow the customers, to invest in their futures by giving secure, accurate and efficient assessment, payment and repayment services.

Government Student Support provision exists in each of the four UK countries, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The rules about qualification for Student Support are broadly comparable in each case. However, there are some significant differences between each country, and the type/level of financial assistance available varies.
SLC undertake the management and processing required in the payment of loans and grants to students, and the payment of tuition fees to higher and further training organisations.
You apply for support from the government of the UK country in which you usually reside; this may be different from the country you decide to study in. After eligibility has been established, the applicable authority will assess your earnings to calculate the level of support to which you are qualified.

For most students in the UK, SLC provide loans to help cover their living costs, as well as loans for their tuition fees. Maintenance credits are payed directly into the student’s bank accounts at the commencement of each term, (monthly for students in Scotland) and the tuition fees direct to their college or university.

Certain programs draw additional help or alternative support. If you are in financial difficulty, and you are eligible for Student Support, you might be suitable to apply for further help through your institution. The Student Support package also includes additional grants for students with special needs, for example disabled students and those with children.
The first studies undertaken at university are generally referred to as undergraduate studies, designed to introduce students to the knowledge base within a specific discipline. An undergraduate is a candidate enrolled in higher education who has not yet received their first degree. A Bachelor’s degree is the name of an award given to students upon completion of their undergraduate studies.
A postgraduate student is any student engaged in higher education beyond their first degree. Postgraduate study refers to the range of courses available to students who have completed undergraduate studies. It requires a higher level of understanding, greater independence and more specialised knowledge than undergraduate study. Postgraduate programs includes Master and Doctorate (PhD) courses.

To qualify for funding from Student Finance England (SFE), you must meet the general eligibility rules. However, even if you meet these rules, if you have studied on a higher education course in the past (whether in the UK or abroad), your entitlement to funding for a new full-time undergraduate degree course will be affected. Study on an earlier higher education course will affect your entitlement to receive Student Finance England funding for a new course.

Get funding and start your education

How to start


Whether you qualify for an Undergraduate loan depends on your:

Your Age;
Nationality and residence status;
Previous study;
Your course;
Your institution;

You may also be eligible if you:

Are a refugee;
Have humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for asylum);
Are a migrant worker;
Are the child of a Swiss national or Turkish worker who is working in the UK;
Under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it;
not a UK national but you’ve lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life);
a serving member of the UK armed forces (or their spouse or civil partner or a dependent parent living with them);


Whether you qualify for an Undergraduate loan depends on your:

Be a UK / EU national or a family member of one;
An EU applicant must be ordinarily resident in the UK or elsewhere in the EEA and/or Switzerland for the 3 years immediately before the 1st September of the year in which you start your course (you can ignore any short absences, such as holidays);
Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course – which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July;
International students can also apply if they have been resident in the EU for the last 3 years or have been a resident in the UK for the 5 years prior to the start of their course, with an immigration status that allows them to stay in the UK, with no restrictions;


The course you plan to study must be in the UK and one of the following:

First degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd;
Foundation Degree;
Certificate of Higher Education;
Higher National Certificate (HNC);
Higher National Diploma (HND);
Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE);
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE);
Initial Teacher Training (ITT);
Master of Science (MSc);
Master of Art (MA);
Master of Philosophy (MPhil);
Master of Research (MRes);
Master of Law (LLM);
Master of Letters (MLitt);
Master of Fine Art (MFA);
Master of Education (MEd);
Master of Business Administration (MBA);

Higher Education

progression and Eligibility

Higher Education is a post-secondary education which refers to any education beyond high-school. Higher education is divided in two categories of courses: undergraduate and postgraduate.

How To Progress

If you did not gain the traditional qualifications required to progress to Higher Education when you were at school, such as A levels or Baccalaureate now you have the chance to apply for an Advanced Learning Loan and progress to Higher Education without any previous qualifications. Courses like Access to Higher education and Level 3 courses will give you the possibility to gain access to Higher Education.
To apply you must be 19 or older on the first day of your course. There are no upper age limits to apply for an Advanced Learning Loan.


Whether you qualify for an Advanced Learning Loan depends on your:

Your Age;
Nationality and residence status;
Previous study;
Your course;
Your institution;
If you are planning to access at any time later an undergraduate or post-graduate loan, those will not be affected by the presence of an Advanced Learning Loan.
Courses covered could include A levels, Access to Higher Education Diploma and Qualifications from level 3 to 6.
All funds can be accessed and returned strictly in accordance with the terms and conditions of Student Loan Company. The eligibility conditions are calculated according to the circumstances of each applicant. All Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans are fully refundable.

Apply For Funding


Please fill out the form below to find out if you are eligible for government funds. After submitting the form we will process your application and get back to you with more information about your eligibility.
Apply for funding

Legal information

Alpha Business Group Ltd is registered in UK with the company number 10916480
VAT No. 357403401
Privacy policy
Cookies policies (UK)

Legal information

Alpha Business Group Ltd is registered in UK with the company number 10916480
VAT No. 357403401
Privacy policy
Cookies policies (UK)

Visit our office

British University Educational Consultancy
Unit 57B Expressway Studios, 
North Woolwich Road, Canning Town,  London E162AA
Get directions (via Google Maps)
©® 2023 All rights reserved